The Oklahoma Insurance coverage Division (OID) is providing assist to Oklahomans who’re affected by Wednesday evening’s extreme climate. The OID is devoted to assist these with injury have their insurance coverage claims dealt with promptly and pretty.
“Submitting an insurance coverage declare could be an intimidating course of,” Insurance coverage Commissioner Glen Mulready mentioned. “However we’re right here for individuals who suffered from Wednesday’s storms. We wish to be certain they get the help they should get better as shortly as attainable.”
The OID’s Client Help division is able to assist anybody who acquired injury from this week’s storms. Listed below are some ideas for storm victims:
1. Have your roof inspected by a trusted roofing contractor. If the damages are beneath your deductible, you would wish to pay for the repairs; If they’re much bigger than your deductible flip the declare in to your insurance coverage provider.
2. Contact your insurance coverage firm or agent as quickly as attainable. Ask what varieties, paperwork and data you have to to supply as a way to course of your declare. Take into account that substitute price insurance policies require the work to be accomplished inside six months of the date of loss as a way to obtain the substitute price funds that have been withheld.
3. Entry and doc Harm. Take pictures or video of the injury. Until your insurance coverage firm tells you to, don’t throw something away.
4. Make the required repairs to forestall additional injury. Cowl damaged home windows, holes, leaking roofs and broken partitions. Shouldn’t have everlasting repairs made till your insurance coverage firm has inspected the property and you’ve got reached an settlement with them on the price of acceptable repairs. Transfer undamaged objects to a secure location when essential to keep away from theft or further loss.
5. Save all receipts. In the event you made repairs to your property, save all receipts together with these from the non permanent repairs that may be lined by your insurance coverage coverage.
6. Ask about further residing bills. If your private home is broken to the extent that it’s unlivable, ask your insurance coverage supplier when you have protection for residing bills incurred whereas repairs are being made.
Keep in mind the following tips if you’re coping with contractors to keep away from fraud:
• At all times get a couple of bid.
• Test references and telephone numbers. Contractor criticism data is collected by the Higher Enterprise Bureau. You’ll be able to name the Development Industries Board to verify the contractor has a sound license to do enterprise within the state and that they carry legal responsibility insurance coverage.
• Don’t pay upfront and don’t make your closing cost till the job is completed.
• Keep away from contractors who supply to waive your deductible or promise a rebate.
• By no means signal a contract with clean areas and all the time make a copy to your data.
When you’ve got questions on different insurance coverage points, please contact the Oklahoma Insurance coverage Division at 1-800-522-0071 or go to our web site at www.oid.ok.gov.
— to www.duncanbanner.com