Over the past a number of many years, I’ve collected many quotes and anecdotes about cash, energy, schooling and alternative. These are my favourite quotes and anecdotes.
Let’s begin with a private anecdote and some associated quotes.
After I was a rising highschool senior a number of many years in the past, I participated in a summer time analysis internship program for brilliant secondary college college students in science and arithmetic. This program, then often known as the Rickover Science Institute (RSI), was run by the Admiral H.G. Rickover Basis. The Admiral was concerned through the first three years, till his demise in 1986.
On the primary day of this system, the scholars had been gathered in a recreation room on the Xerox Worldwide Middle for Coaching and Administration Improvement (XICTMD), ready for this system to start. The Admiral was there, difficult most of the college students along with his power and vive. He approached numerous college students and requested, “So, what are you well-known for?” The scholars had been so sensible that lots of them had an actual response.
I used to be taking part in pool with two of the feminine college students, when the Admiral approached me. He requested, “Are you playing around with these ladies?” I responded, “Not but.”
This response endeared me to him. He had printed a few of his personal comebacks and quotes on enterprise playing cards. He gave one among them to me. It stated, “Late to mattress, early to rise, work arduous as hell, and also you’ll be sensible.”
The Admiral spurred all of us to work tougher than we had ever earlier than. This system was and is, to at the present time, intense. His dedication to schooling and the RSI program influenced my profession path.
Regardless that the RSI program is now often known as the Analysis Science Institute and the inspiration because the Middle for Excellence in Schooling (CEE), the alumni are nonetheless often known as Rickoids.
Another noteworthy quotes from the Admiral embrace quotes about studying and about at all times doing all your greatest.
Rickover Quotes about Studying
- “Success teaches us nothing; solely failure teaches.”
- “I by no means thought I used to be sensible. I assumed the folks I handled had been dumb.”
- “Nothing so sharpens the thought course of as writing down one’s arguments. Weaknesses ignored in oral dialogue change into painfully apparent on the written web page.”
- “Our biggest duty, as dad and mom and as residents, is to present America’s children the very best schooling. We’d like the most effective lecturers and sufficient of them to arrange our younger folks for a future immeasurably extra advanced than the current, and calling for ever bigger numbers of competent and extremely skilled women and men.”
- “You possibly can’t go to heaven when you die dumb.”
- “An individual should put together himself intellectually and professionally after which use his powers to their fullest extent.”
- “All of us should change into higher knowledgeable. It’s crucial for us to study from others’ errors. You’ll not reside lengthy sufficient to make all of them your self.”
Rickover Quotes about Striving for Excellence
- “That is what being a human being is, to do the most effective you possibly can below any circumstances.“
- “Human expertise exhibits that folks, not organizations or administration, get issues accomplished.”
- “It’s tough to soar with eagles once you work with turkeys.”
- “Good concepts and improvements are usually not adopted mechanically. They should be pushed into existence by braveness and persistence.”
- “I imagine it’s the responsibility of every of us to behave as if the destiny of the world relied on him. Admittedly, one man by himself can not do the job. Nevertheless, one man could make a distinction. We should reside for the way forward for the human race, and never for our personal consolation or success.”
- “When doing a job — any job — one should really feel that he owns it, and act as if he’ll stay in that job without end. He should take care of his work simply as rigorously, as if it had been his personal enterprise and his personal cash.”
- “I feel you make your heaven and hell proper right here on Earth. You must act on this Earth as if it had been heaven.”
Quotes from RADM Grace Hopper
One of many night audio system through the RSI program was Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, a pioneering pc scientist and mathematician. She advised a narrative about how she scrounged desks and gear for her division. When her superiors questioned her “requisitioning” of desks, she responded, “It wasn’t bolted down, sir.” She additionally advised us that “It’s simpler to apologize than to ask permission.”
Quotes about Schooling and Cash
Francis Bacon, inventor of the scientific technique, stated, “Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est” (Data Itself Is Energy).
Benjamin Franklin, one of many founding fathers of the USA of America, stated, “If a person empties his purse into his head, nobody can take it from him. An funding in information at all times pays the best return.”
H.G. Wells wrote in Quantity 2 of The Define of Historical past, “Human historical past turns into increasingly a race between schooling and disaster.”
Teddy Roosevelt, the 26th U.S. President, stated, “A person who has by no means gone to highschool could steal from a freight automotive, but when he has a college schooling he could steal the entire railroad.”
B.F. Skinner, an American behaviorist, stated, “Schooling is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten.”
Adlai Stevenson, a diplomat, stated, “Males could also be born free; they can’t be born sensible; and it’s the responsibility of the college to make the free sensible.”
John F. Kennedy, the 35th U.S. President, spoke incessantly about schooling.
- “Allow us to not consider schooling solely when it comes to its prices, however fairly when it comes to the infinite potential of the human thoughts that may be realized by means of schooling. Allow us to consider schooling because the technique of creating our biggest skills, as a result of in every of us there’s a personal hope and dream which, fulfilled, could be translated into profit for everybody and better power for our nation.”
- “Our progress as a nation could be no swifter than our progress in schooling. Our necessities for world management, our hopes for financial progress, and the calls for of citizenship itself in an period similar to this all require the utmost improvement of each younger American’s capability. The human thoughts is our basic useful resource.”
- “No activity earlier than our nation is extra vital than increasing and bettering the tutorial alternatives of all our folks. The idea that each American deserves the chance to realize the best degree of schooling of which he’s succesful just isn’t new to this Administration – it’s a conventional preferrred of democracy. However it’s time that we moved towards the achievement of this preferrred with extra vigor and fewer delay. For schooling is each the inspiration and the unifying drive of our democratic lifestyle — it’s the mainspring of our financial and social progress — it’s the highest expression of accomplishment in our society, ennobling and enriching human life. In brief, it’s on the identical time essentially the most worthwhile funding society could make and the richest reward it will probably provide.”
- “In our democracy each younger individual ought to have an equal alternative to acquire a better schooling, no matter his station in life or monetary means.”
- “Pupil loans have been useful to many. However they provide neither incentive nor help to these college students who, by motive of household or different obligations, are unable or unwilling to go deeper into debt. … It’s, furthermore, solely prudent financial and social coverage for the general public to share a part of the prices of the lengthy interval of upper schooling for these whose improvement is crucial to our nationwide financial and social well-being. All of us share in the advantages – all ought to share within the prices.”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the civil rights activist, stated, “It isn’t burn child burn, however study, child, study, to be able to earn, child, earn.”
Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th U.S. President, gave a number of speeches about greater schooling. That is one among his extra well-liked quotes: “We imagine, that’s, you and I, that schooling just isn’t an expense. We imagine it’s an funding.”
President Lyndon B. Johnson stated, whereas declaring a nationwide objective of full instructional alternative, “Each baby should be inspired to get as a lot schooling as he has the flexibility to take. We wish this not just for his sake – however for the way forward for our nation’s sake. Nothing issues extra to the way forward for our nation: not our army preparedness – for armed would possibly is nugatory if we lack the brainpower to construct world peace; not our productive economic system – for we can not maintain progress with out skilled manpower; not our democratic system of presidency – for freedom is fragile if residents are ignorant.”
He additionally stated, “Schooling is the important thing to alternative in our society, and the equality of instructional alternative should be the birthright of each citizen” and “Each man, in every single place, must be free to develop his skills to their full potential – unhampered by arbitrary obstacles of race or start or revenue.”
Sir Claus Moser, stated, “Schooling prices cash, however then so does ignorance.” I as soon as noticed an analogous quote on a bumper sticker, “In the event you suppose schooling is dear, attempt ignorance.”
Aristotle as soon as stated, “Schooling is the most effective provision for outdated age.”
Kofi Annan, a diplomat who served as Secretary-Normal of the United Nations, stated, “Schooling is a human proper with immense energy to remodel. On its basis relaxation the cornerstones of freedom, democracy and sustainable human improvement.”
Gordon Brown, who served as Britain’s Prime Minister, stated, “Nobody must be held again from realising their potential by fears that they won’t be able to afford to go to school or that they are going to graduate with unmanageable ranges of debt.”
Ben Bernanke, who served as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, stated, “Schooling – lifelong schooling for everybody – from toddlers to staff effectively superior of their careers – is certainly a superb funding for people and society as an entire.”
In his state of the union tackle, Barack Obama, the 44th U.S. President, stated, “… as a result of in the USA of America, nobody ought to go broke as a result of they selected to go to varsity.” He additionally stated, “In a worldwide economic system the place essentially the most beneficial talent you possibly can promote is your information, a superb schooling is now not only a pathway to alternative – it’s a prerequisite.” and “Greater schooling can’t be a luxurious reserved only for a privileged few. It’s an financial necessity for each household. And each household ought to be capable of afford it.”
Bernie Sanders, a U.S. Senator, stated, “Each human being has the elemental proper to a superb schooling. We are dedicated to creating an schooling system that works for all folks, not simply the rich and highly effective.” and “If we’re to succeed as a nation, public faculties and universities should be tuition free. Greater schooling must be a proper for all, not a privilege for the few. Which means we now have obtained to make public faculties and universities tuition free and we should considerably scale back scholar debt. Every yr, tons of of hundreds of brilliant and certified younger folks don’t get a better schooling for one motive and one motive alone: their household lacks the revenue. That’s unfair to these households; and it’s it’s unfair to the way forward for this nation.”